The former New York governor, Andrew Cuomo, announced on Monday that he will actively stay in the New York City Mayor’s career, but who will accept a promise to meet the results of a September proposed survey, where he and other candidates would leave if they are not leading.
“The fight to save our city is not over … the general elections are in November, and I am in it to win it,” said Cuomo In a video posted in X On Monday, where he recognized his main loss and apologized to his followers.
“As my grandfather used to say, when they tear you down, learn the lesson and go back and return to the game, and that is what I am going to do,” said Cuomo.
Cuomo criticized his opponent and alleged Democratic candidate to Mayor Zohran Mamdani as offering “slippery slogans, but there are no real solutions.”
“Every day, I will get to the streets knowing you where you are,” said Cuomo, “listen to the good and the bad. Problems and solutions. Because during the next months, it is my responsibility to win your vote.”
In a separate email to the supporters, Cuomo wrote: “I also believe that all of us who love New York City must be united in the administration of the strongest possible candidate against Zohran Mamdani in the general elections of November for the mayor … That is why I have accepted the proposal presented by former governor David and candidate Jim Walden who, in the middle of below, instead of acting as spoilers and guaranteeing the election of Mamdani.”

Candidate for Mayor’s Office of New York, state representative Zohran Mamdani talking with followers in New York, June 25, 2025 and the candidate for mayor of New York City, Andrew Cuomo, speaking with supporters, on June 24, 2025.
Getty images
Cuomo admitted in the primary of democratic mayor to Mamdani, a progressive that He scored 56% of the main vote After the tabulation of classified choice, but it will still be on the ballot in an independent vote.
The former governor and other candidates face calls from Mamdani’s opponents to separate the race to try to merger support for a non -mamdaní candidate.
The independent candidate Jim Walden suggested earlier this month that an independent survey must be executed near the elections, and the candidates who lose in the survey would support those who won and stop campaigning. Cuomo’s campaign had previously said that he was reviewing the proposal.
Newsnation was the first to inform about Cuomo’s decision, before officially making the announcement on Monday.
Walden told ABC News on Monday, before the announcement of Cuomo, that he is encouraged that Cuomo is ready to assume his proposal and expects Adams and Sliwa to also assume. He said he would leave the race if he were late in the survey, and said he believes that Cuomo and Adams will sign because “nobody” would like to be the one to win Mamdani.
However, the head of Eric Adams, who runs as an independent and republican candidate Curtis Sliwa, continues to dig.
“Andrew Cuomo lost the Democratic primaries for two digits and now he is doing the same thing to the leaders respected as Charlie King, Governor David Paterson and Carl McCall, the Keith Wright Assembly, forcing a black chosen out of his position,” Adams said in a statement during the weekend.
On Monday, he asked about the survey proposal in an unrelated event, Adams was challenging.
“[Cuomo is] He is saying that [we should] Use the survey to determine who should face the Democratic Primary winner. Remember, the surveys showed him 40 points … He lost at 13 points, “he said.” So, if we are going to use these methods to make this determination that they have already proven to be inaccurate, why are we going to put the risk of New York for someone who has not fulfilled their word? As you have a constant record of not fulfilling your word, why are we going to trust it now? “
Curtis Sliwa told ABC News in an interview on Monday before Cuomo’s announcement that he will not go back to the race. He also criticized the gambit of the survey.
“I don’t want to [Cuomo] To leave. I want voters to make the decision. I am not afraid of people. I think people will make a decision … They are welcome to leave. I am until November, but the three independents, Cuomo, Adams, Walden, want to play musical chair in the Titanic and choose an independent line. That is your choice. But people have the right to vote for the candidate of their choice, “said Sliwa.
A spokesman for Mamdani’s campaign, meanwhile, positioned the alleged Democratic candidate as the fray, in a statement before Cuomo’s announcement.
“While Andrew Cuomo and Eric Adams are shooting to reduce room agreements with billionaires and Republicans, Zohran Mamdani focuses on making this city more affordable for New Yorkers. That is the choice this November,” wrote the spokesman in a statement to ABC New York Wabc.
Mamdani responded to Cuomo’s Monday video in X with a fund collection link for his own campaign.
This is a development story. Consult the updates again.