London-five journalists were among at least 21 people killed in an Israeli air attack in Gaza on Monday morning, officials of the Gaza Government Media Office said, led by Hamas, the Ministry of Health.
The strike occurred in Nasser’s medical complex in the city of Khan Younis in southern Gaza, the Ministry of Health said.
Mariam Dagga, 33, who had been working as an independent journalist for Associated Press since the conflict began in October 2022, was one of the murdered journalists, the AP reported, saying that she was “shocked and sad” for deaths.

Palestinian journalists, Top LR, Mohammad Salama, Moaz Abu Taha and Mariam Dagga and Bottom LR, Hussam Al-Masri and Ahmed Abu Aziz, who were killed in Gaza, on August 25, 2025.
EPA/Shuttersock/Reuters/AP
Al Jazeera, the cameraman Mohammed Salama was killed, confirmed the media network of Al Jazeera, saying in a statement that “condemns, in the most solid terms possible, this horrible crime committed by the Israeli occupation forces, which have directly attacked and murdered journalists as part of a systematic campaign to silence the truth.”
Ahmad Abu Aziz, main correspondent for Middle East Eye in southern Gaza, was one of the murdered journalists, confirmed the Outlet headquarters in the United Kingdom. Gazán, 28, “Gaza’s relentlessly” reported “while working through” pain, displacement, hunger and bombing, “said the medium.

Team used by the Palestinian cameraman Hussam Al-Masri, who was Reuters contractor, is in the place where he was killed, along with other journalists and people, in the Israeli strikes at the Nasser Hospital, in Khan Youis in the South Gaza Strip, in this image still taken from the video, on August 25, 2025.
Hatem Khaled/Reuters
Hussam Al-Masri, a cameraman hired with Reuters, and Moaz Abu Taha, an independent journalist whose work had sometimes been published by Reuters, were also killed in the hospital strike, confirmed a spokesman for Reuters, saying that they are “devastated” to find out about their deaths. Reuters photographer, Hatem Khaled, was also injured, said the spokesman.
“We urgently seek more information and we have asked the authorities in Gaza and Israel to help us obtain urgent medical assistance for HATEM,” said Reuters spokesman in a statement.
At least another 16 people were also killed in the strike in the hospital, according to the Ministry of Health of Gaza. They included four health workers, according to the World Health Organization. Other fifty, including critical patients, they were also injured, he said.
“Israel deeply regrets the tragic accident that happened today at Nasser hospital in Gaza,” said Israeli Benjamin Netanyahu’s office in a statement. “Israel values the work of journalists, medical staff and all civilians.”

The Palestinians gather outside the Nasser hospital in Khan Younis in southern Gaza Strip on August 25, 2025, after Israeli attacks.
-/AFP through Getty Images
He continued: “The military authorities are carrying out an exhaustive investigation. Our war is with Hamas’ terrorists. Our fair goals are defeating Hamas and bring our hostages home.”
The FDI issued a statement confirming that it launched a strike in the Nasser hospital area and laments “any damage to people not involved” in their fight against Hamas.
“We are aware of the reports that the damage was caused to civilians, including journalists. I would like to be clear from the beginning: the IDF do not intentionally addressed civilians,” the spokesman for the FDI, Brig. General Effie Defrin said in a statement. “IDF do everything possible to mitigate the damage to civilians, while guaranteeing the safety of our troops.”

A journalist has a blood-covered camera that belongs to the Palestinian photojournalist Hussam Al-Mesri, a reuters contractor who was killed in an Israeli strike at the Nasser hospital in Khan Yunis in the Southern Gaza Strip, during his funeral on August 25, 2025.
AFP through Getty Images
Defrin said that the Chief of the General personnel of the FDI had ordered immediate investigation into the incident “to understand the circumstances of what happened and how it happened.”
“The report of an active war zone entails an immense risk, especially in a war with a terrorist organization like Hamas, which cynically hides behind the civilian population. As always, we will present our findings as transparent as possible,” said Defrin.
Diaa Ostaz, Camilla Alcini and Dorit of ABC News contributed to this report.